Monday 7 November 2011

Pizza heresy?

Even if I do say so myself, I make a pretty mean 'traditional' pizza.  There are times though when you want to at least try to convince yourself that you're eating healthily.  Ahem, ok so what if I do still put on big yummy chunks of mozzarella - what do you think I am some sort of a saint!!??

Anyway, here's where the wholemeal pizza base comes to the rescue (do I hear Raffaele Esposito turning in his grave?).  The key is the mix and type of flours - I like to use the consistently excellent Shipton Mill - Stoneground 100% wholemeal and Italian white '00' - the latter I buy in a 25kg sack and use for a huge number of things, including the aforementioned 'traditional' pizza, and pasta.

In defence of this debatable heresy, while this doesn't get as good a bubbly rise, this base it is delicious and a fantastic match for the smoked salmon and rocket topping.  Finish it off with a squeeze of lemon juice and dollop or two of crème fraiche, if you like.

Finally, don't even try to make pizza without a pizza stone, and make sure to whack your oven up as hot as it will go.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment